In the 1960s, Sullivan learned to play the sitar, having been inspired by attending a recording session for Indian classical musician Vilayat Khan.[ Sullivan released an album of Indian-style recordings under his own name, Sitar Beat (1967), and one as "Lord Sitar", Lord Sitar (1968).
He played sitar on a musical interpretation of the Kama Sutra. Sullivan was among a group of English guitarists who adopted the sitar, including George Harrison of the Beatles,[9] whose Esher home Sullivan regularly visited to practise on the instrument.[citation needed] Throughout this period, Sullivan studied formally with Nazir Jairazbhoy and, until 1969, he all but abandoned guitar in favour of the sitar.[7] Together with Harrison, Brian Jones of the Rolling Stones and Shawn Phillips, he was among the most dedicated of the many rock guitarists who embraced the instrument during the 1960s.


Thank you
ReplyDeleteThank you very much for this! I couldn't find the disc anymore and I'm not even sure if I ever owned it or heard it somewhere else. Today, however, I have to say that the music has acquired quite a patina. Nonetheless, it's a wonderful document of the time. Let the sitar buzz!
ReplyDeleteThank you very much for this! I couldn't find the disc anymore and I'm not even sure if I ever owned it or heard it somewhere else. Today, however, I have to say that the music has acquired quite a patina. Nonetheless, it's a wonderful document of the time. Let the sitar buzz!
ReplyDeleteThank you very much for this! I couldn't find the disc anymore and I'm not even sure if I ever owned it or heard it somewhere else. Today, however, I have to say that the music has acquired quite a patina. Nonetheless, it's a wonderful document of the time. Let the sitar buzz!
ReplyDelete