Members:
Keith Andrews (rhythm guitar), Bruce Bark (lead guitar), Clive Harding (bass), Tony Hughes (drums), Johnny Collini (vocals, 1964), Glenys Lynne (vocals, 1964-65)
Also Known As
The Nevadas [1964], Four Jacks and a Jill [1965-present]
A South African band originally formed by Clive Harding and Graham Woods in 1962 as The Nevadas, they changed their name to The Zombies in July 1964. At this stage, the band members consisted of: Clive Harding (bass guitar), Johnny Collini (vocals), Bruce Bark (lead guitar), Keith Andrews (rhythm guitar) and Tony Hughes (drums).
These were the days of Beatle hair and The Zombies were one of the first South African bands to sport a new look. Once while touring the country they played a concert at the Luxurama Theater in Cape Town, where Glenys Lynne was one of the participants. The Zombies supported the girl's performance at the show, and after it the group and Glenys Lynne began touring together. It was during this period that The Zombies were criticized in the press for their long hair, and as a result they decided to return to short hair, and also changed their name again to Four Jack & A Jill with Glenys Lynn as lead vocalist.
While still The Zombies, the guys, together with Glenys Lynne, recorded the single “Let The Water Run Down / Barefoot In The Rain”, but the songs from it were not included in the only album “The Zombies”, released in the same year, 1964. Johnny Collini left the band for personal reasons when the album was released and was therefore not included in the band photo on the front cover of the record.
The only album of a beat group from South Africa, which the group released a year earlier than its star “namesakes” from the UK.
The Zombies — The Zombies (1964)
01. The Zombies - I Should Have Known Better
02. The Zombies - Do Wah Diddy Diddy
03. The Zombies - Indigo Bay
04. The Zombies - Alright Alright
05. The Zombies - Michael
06. The Zombies - Greensticks
07. The Zombies - I Want
08. The Zombies - Summertime Blues
09. The Zombies - I'll Cry
10. The Zombies - If I Had A Hammer
11. The Zombies - Tell Me
12. The Zombies - Let's Have A Party




Thank you
ReplyDeleteThank you
ReplyDeleteThanks for this one
ReplyDeleteThank You
ReplyDeleteVery interesting. British Zombies are in my top 10 of all time. I listened to the African zombies album, I liked it, lots of covers, but it's worth it for the curiosity and mainly for its rarity. To differentiate the two bands when listening to my music files I put the expression (South Africa) in the African band so now I have the bands The Zombies and The Zombies (South Africa) in my playlists. Thank You
ReplyDelete