Friday, July 05, 2024

The New Vaudeville Band - Winchester Cathedral (RPM 2007) @ Flac




Alan Klein - vocals
Hugh "Shuggy" Watts - trombone
Mick Wilsher - guitar
Stan Heywood - keyboards


One of the oddest one-hit wonders of the '60s, the New Vaudeville Band -- true to their name -- drew from the swinging vaudeville, trad jazz, and British music hall styles of the '20s and '30s to create a distinctively anachronistic brand of novelty pop. The group was masterminded by producer/songwriter Geoff Stephens, who in 1966 convened a group of mostly anonymous studio musicians (including drummer Henry Harrison) to record a jaunty, old-timey British number he'd written called "Winchester Cathedral." Though Stephens was credited as the vocalist on the track, it was later confirmed to be sung by ex-Ivy League/Flowerpot Men/First Class vocalist John Carter, who sang through his hands to simulate the sound of a megaphone (as on old Rudy Vallee records). "Winchester Cathedral" was an enormous hit, climbing into the British Top Five and going all the way to number one in America, where it also won a Grammy. Stephens suddenly needed a band for touring purposes and at first invited the similarly backward-looking Bonzo Dog Doo Dah Band to serve as the living, breathing New Vaudeville Band. Collectively, the group declined, but their saxophonist Bob "Pops" Kerr signed on, joining a lineup that featured Harrison, guitarist Mick Wilsher, keyboardist Stan Haywood, trombonist Hugh "Shuggy" Watts, bassists Neil Korner and Chris Eddy, and new vocalist Alan Klein, who performed under the alias Tristram, Seventh Earl of Cricklewood. The band issued its debut album -- titled, naturally, Winchester Cathedral -- in 1967, and though they were one-hit wonders in the States (in spite of their touring success there), they notched two more popular singles in the U.K. that year: the Top Ten "Peek-a-Boo" and the Top 20 "Finchley Central." The latter song became the title track of their second album, released by Fontana toward the end of the year. In 1968, the group played a major role on the film soundtrack The Bliss of Mrs. Blossom, but their novelty was beginning to wear off with the record-buying public. The band retreated to the English cabaret circuit, where they eked out a profitable (if lower-profile) existence for some time to come; they also played Las Vegas on occasion and released U.K.-only singles in 1973 and 1976. With numerous personnel shifts in its declining years, the group finally broke up for good in 1988. Kerr, meanwhile, kept the flame of British eccentricity burning with his own Bob Kerr's Whoopee Band.




Repressing. What began as a quick knock out single by Pop master Geoff Stephens, the track 'Winchester Cathedral' accidentally became a #1 hit all over the world. Voiced in a session by John Carter, Stephens then quickly needed a group to follow up with the promotion. A hasty call to drummer and group leader Henry Harrison, then with his own R&B band (Cops n Robbers), set the wheels in motion and the New Vaudeville Band came alive, to enjoy a lengthy career well into the late 1970's. Collected here are the complete recordings credited to the New Vaudeville Band, plus a couple of unreleased tracks and song writing demos (including John Carter's demo of 'Winchester Cathedral'). This is the first time on CD for all but the title track, and the LPs have not been available in over 30 years. Includes the international hits 'Winchester Cathedral', 'Peek a Boo', 'Finchley Central' and 'Green Street Green'. Liner notes include interviews with Geoff Stephens and John Carter. RPM. 2007.








 

22 comments:

  1. Hello D& J, thank you very very much for that offer.I like the sound of the band and enjoy the CD.Good to have you Greetings Thomas

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello D& J thanks for the New Vaudeville Band CD.Is it possible to give a link for the several MP3s?? Your link give one MP3 for all tracks.It would be great to have track by track,I am not good with PC so I need help.Thanks.Greetings Thomas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AIMP is both a player, and a converter at the same time. You split the CUE file from the downloaded archive (in any format) and save it to yourself (!!!) in the folder that you assigned for the exit ... Let's say this is the Temp folder. Then delete everything you don't need from the source folder and copy the resulting (split) files into it. It's simple

      Delete
  3. I grew up with this album (not that I've grown up mind you), we always got kick out of the track "Whatever happened to Phyllis Puke".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha .. I grew up under Winchester Cathedral. We had a radio program Viktor Tatarsky "Record on your tape recorders" It was musical intro at the beginning of program ...

      Delete
  4. Hello D& J,

    thankf for the information to the AIMP player.I like to make own CDs,so I need several Mp3s to make an own CD.I didn use player like AIMP on my PC ,because I am a "CD Fan".So I must look for a converter program,but I am an not so good with PC working.So if it possible for you to give a second link for several MP3s it would be a great help for me.Many thanks.I would enjoy to make my Winchester CD.Greetings Thomas

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello D&J,

    I don't know ,if you get my notice.I didn t see the notice in the comments.Thanks for the AIMP Information, but I didn't use player on PC.I like to make CDs with MP3s.I am a CD Fan.So if it is possible please give a link for MP3 of theis great New Vauderville Band CD.Thanks.Greetings Thomas

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm having trouble looking for how to make each song into separate MP3s...anyone like to show how to do it. Using AIMP but it's not clear to me.
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  7. mp3 - https://mega.nz/file/z88kGDQS#38DNnhhKbG59GYaTK4XEqbSsbEerxBqp2poOv20y178

    This is how I make it ... https://youtu.be/yw6x3mCTRyY

    And I spent exactly 5 minutes on it. If you like mp3 to CD, you must have these programs - a converter and a tag editor ... AIMP has all these functions. But the best choice of tag editor is Tag Rename. But the choice is always yours. And again, it's not difficult! Good Luck.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello D&J many thanks for your help and info.New Vauderville Band CD is great.YouTube video is not to see here.There stands"private video" not to use.Many greetings Thomas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Tom.I have fixed the access.
      Look , it might come in handy ...

      Delete
  9. Mega.nz is useless for WindowsXP32 bit users
    Can You put The New Vaudeville Band - Winchester Cathedral on other server such us mediafire
    Please

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello Dmitrich can you please re-up this as the link has expired. Many thanks again from Nick

    ReplyDelete
  11. A real big thanks for re-upping!!! Shame there's still a few New Vaudeville Band songs still not in the digital domain, like Uncle Gabriel. Thanks once again to the big D!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh no, unfortunately this isn't the RPM CD. Cheers, Nick

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fixed. Now it's RPM CD 2007 Remaster @ Flac

      Delete
  13. Thanks an absolute million there Dmitrich, you are legend!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I remember hearing their song on the radio as a little kid sitting in the backseat of my parent's car while we were traveling out to a family reunion to who knows where. Great memories and great song.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Greatful! Many thanks for Flac!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Muchas gracias, Dmitrich, por este excelente disco.
    Saludos.

    ReplyDelete

RULES :
1. ANONYMOUS REQUESTS WITHOUT ANSWER ! If you take the time to write a message, take a few seconds to sign it with your name, please.
2. If you think that the post was made in violation of your copyright, just report it in the comments and we will delete the material.
3. You can report of about dead links, but please don't make more than one - two repost request per week.