The Daybreakers - History Of Eastern Iowa Rock Volume One
18 songs, including both sides of their single and lots of previously unreleased demos, most dating from 1967-68. This is more progressive in slant than the usual archival garage release, with influences from The Doors, Rascals, and "White Room"-era Cream harmonies. The sound of the original garage band era is strongly felt via Al Collins' Farfisa organ, which is at the forefront of his often minor-key compositions. Also includes four demos in a much breezier pop vein by Rox, and some crummy oldies remakes by reunion versions of the band in the late '70s and 1980s.
"Let no one ask me why, but I have a great fondness for garage bands in Iowa, a state full of good bands, but very few have had national importance. and among them are "The Daydream", which in 1967 would release a solitary single, but which contained this jewel entitled "Psychedelic Siren". The other songs of him have been unpublished until the appearance of this disc.
The band had continuous personnel changes until 1969 when they became "Rox", changing their style from garage to Hard-Rock, a style that was already beginning to take off with force. In this recording there are four tracks that seem to have never appeared before. They fall apart in 1969 and in 1971 they reappear as "Crusin", of which they show us three live tracks, covering great classics.
It is a very enjoyable album to listen to, starting with the garage sound and ending with very different sounds. The band was changing in parallel with the passage of time." *
1 - Daybreakers - Psychedelic Siren
2 - Daybreakers - Afterthoughts
3 - Daybreakers - If You Really Love Me
4 - Daybreakers - Daybreak
5 - Daybreakers - Evil Woman
6 - Daybreakers - Give Me Back My Soul
7 - Daybreakers - Show Me
8 - Daybreakers - I'm Gonna Love You Forever
9 - Daybreakers - That's Our Song
10 - Daybreakers - Woman (I'm A Boy Not A Man)
11 - Daybreakers - In My Own Good Time
12 - Rox - Lonely Boy
13 - Rox - I Want You For All Time
14 - Rox - I Need Somebody
15 - Rox - Some Kind Of Love
16 - Crusin' - Gimme Some Lovin' (Live)
17 - Crusin' - Twist And Shout (Live)
18 - Crusin' - Come On Up (Live)
VA – Dirty Water (The History Of Eastern Iowa Rock Volume 2)
The title looks like an absurd in-joke that takes the specialized nature of '60s garage compilations to its most ludicrous extremes. This is, however, a genuine collection of local '60s rock from Eastern Iowa, a region not known as a fertile spawning ground for influential groups. You'd be wrong to expect this modest labor of love to prove otherwise. However, it's surprisingly decent fare as these things go. With more of a pop bent than most anthologies of this type, it makes a refreshing change from all those garage compilations that stress inept three-chord workouts. The XL's' "Summer Love in the Sand" is an infectiously goofy midwestern take on the California beach sound; Direction of Mind play nicely haunting psychedelic pop; Rox sound like a fusion of the Raspberries and the Beach Boys.
"Second part of this interesting collection dedicated to Iowa Bands.
This is an excellent compilation that appeared on vinyl in 1986 on the American label "Unlimited Productions" and that I believe never made it to CD.
We remember that the first volume published here was dedicated exclusively to "The Daybreakers" and their successive bands, but in this second part, the bands are already divided, with 13 being those that compose it.
We find the most varied garage, from the wildest represented by "The Countdown" or "The Untouchables", the latter with a theme from the most classic garage "Come On Baby".
A band that I like a lot, are the "XL's" that appear with the two songs, personally I would highlight their cheerful "Summer Love In The Sand"
Another of my favorite songs is "I Wonder" from "Rog & The Escorts", a song with all the teenager essence, a delight for the ears.
"The Contents Are" is possibly one of the best known, as it is one of the few bands that would manage to record an LP, an unusual house for garage bands.
The other bands are also very interesting, so I recommend that if you are garage lovers, listen carefully to it, because I think it stands out from the many, perhaps excessive compilations of the genre that there are." *
1 - The Countdowns - You Know I Do
2 - Uncle & The Anteaters - Kathy Ran Around
3 - Uncle & The Anteaters - Lover Boy
4 - Uncle & The Anteaters - Let's Be Happy
5 - The Untouchables - Come On Baby
6 - The XL's - I Need A Ride
7 - The XL's - Summer Love In The Sand
8 - Fire And Ice - Person To Person
9 - Corruption, Inc. - She's Gone
10 - The Daybreakers - Respect
11 - Rog & The Escorts - I Wonder
12 - Depot Rains - 7-11 Hour (Whiskey Hollow)
13 - Depot Rains - I Am Lost
14 - The Contents Are - Direction Of Mind
15 - Rox - We'll Find A Way
16 - Junction - Touch Me
17 - Crusin' - I Got A Line
=================================
* This is practically a repost of material and annotations Jose made in 2021 with a minor upgrade.
For more Iowa Garage HERE




.jpg)

Thank you DM, I didn't have vol 1 !
ReplyDeleteThanks
ReplyDeleteAn Amazing Story. Thank you.
ReplyDelete
ReplyDeleteMy old friend Dmitrich.
I don't know why, but I've always been drawn to Iowa bands, especially those that recorded on IGL, a legendary label that, when it closed, gave away its records and threw the rest in the city dump, thinking they were worthless.
Fortunately, those recordings have survived the test of time, and we can enjoy them.
Thanks for the mention.
Jose
Hi Jose, my good friend
DeleteI also like everything related to IGL, or rather, everything that can be found at the moment, and I hope we haven't yet found everything that was so mercilessly thrown into the city dump...
I generally like similar compilations released on small regional labels, regardless of region, because each regional sound has something unique and original. And that's very interesting.
Cheers. Dmitrich