Monday, October 23, 2023

John Smith And The New Sound – Snoopy Vs. The Red Baron Winchester Cathedral (1967)


Formerly of skiffle band Jubilee, John Smith signed a solo deal with Parlophone in the 1960s and released singles under the name of Bobby Dean. Being managed by Bill Wellings he ended up EMI's Top Six label doing cover songs. These were release in the UK and Germany and had some success. The Vogue record label released these songs under the original name but also as The Four Kings as on various 7" singles. Covers of the New Vaudeville Band's original "Winchester Cathedral" and The Royal Guardsmen hit "Snoopy vs. The Red Baron" charted for the band. By late 1967 John Smith left, moving to Australia where he continued his musical career.

In 1968 this left Bill Wellings with a band but no vocalist. He decided to continue use of the same name using multiple vocalists at PYE Studios in London (this was done without the consent or knowledge of John Smith). Much singing was done by the lead vocalist for a group called "The Excheckers". Another vocalist to take part in these recordings was David Byron who did vocals on multiple tracks for two John Smith and the New Sound albums that followed under the original name. The albums Rockin' With John Smith and Rock & Roll Again With John Smith were both released in 1968 but it's not credited David's vocals are found on. These releases featured covers with photos featuring the original band but John Smith's face was cut out of those photos. No credits were listed for the musicians or the vocals on either album. Many of these tracks would have been recorded in the same sessions.
==================================

"John thinks he’s a clown”, said my final school report!....it was the only time the school got anything right ( for me anyway ).
I started playing the Ukulele in 1955 during my lunch-hour at my first job. I learnt 3 chords, D, G, & A7. Then I heard Josh White, Big Bill Broonzy, & Lonnie Donegan and formed my first skiffle group called “Jubilee”. For our first job, we earned £5.00 between four of us for a 4 hour gig (not bad money for 1955 considering we were only worth 5 shillings). By 1958 we were doing 6-8 gigs a week and learning all the time.
After being offered a solo recording contract in 1964, I recorded “More & More” with a new name…..”Bobby Dean”. It got quite a lot of airplay but never did well.
The name had to go, Bill Wellings, my manager, was a great friend and fan of mine, as I was of him. He introduced me to EMI & the “Top Six” label in 1964. Bill got together some of the best musicians around and we copied the original hits of the day. We were known as “The Ghost Squad”. Our slogan was:

I had the best couple of years recording about 75 hits of the time and, boy oh boy, did I learn a lot, but how could you miss with the following line-up, all directed by the great Johnny Harris and produced by Bill Wellings at the Pye Studios in London.

MUSICIANS :

Johnny Harris (also piano, trumpet & backing vocals) Piano / keyboards: Johnny Harris & Laurie Holloway Guitar: Big Jim Sullivan, Bass: Vic Pitt, Lennie Bush Drums: Kenny Clare, Bobby Kevin, Jimmy Nicol ( the Beatles deputy drummer) Organ: Roger Coulan (also percussion) Various Brass & Strings

BACKING VOCALS:

 The Mike Sammes Singers I will be eternally grateful to these very talented performers who were always a joy to work with. During this time I was still recording under my own name

I was very lucky to have my recording of “Winchester Cathedral” make number 2 in Germany and “Snoopy Vs The Red Baron” get to number 8 with a self-penned song “Send her Home” on the ‘B’ side. I worked a lot in Germany (see the video clip of “Beat Club” above) & had a few other successful recordings there such as “Make it Me”, “Don’t Break it Up” and a couple of 12” albums did quite well.

At the ripe old age of 28, I was offered a Job working on a cruise ship (guitar/vocals/comic). I was supposed to stay on the ships for about 4 months, but retired from the sea in 1993. ( See my book “A Laugh on The Ocean Wave”)

During my time ashore, I worked with some of the greats:

Guy Mitchell, Frankie Laine, Al Martino Eddie Fisher Bobby Rydell Del Shannon The Village People Chubby Checker John Rowles Tom T.Hall Blood Sweat & Tears Harry Secombe Dick Emery the wonderful Vera Lynn, and many more

I now reside in Devon with my two favourite ladies Pat & Lily…. (by the way, Lily is a Golden Retriever)" ~John Smith

 01. John Smith And The New Sound - High Time 
 02. John Smith And The New Sound - Send Her Home 
 03. John Smith And The New Sound - Got The Get You Into My Life 
 04. John Smith And The New Sound - No-One Knows 
 05. John Smith And The New Sound - Wrapping Paper 
 06. John Smith And The New Sound - Stop Stop Stop 
 07. John Smith And The New Sound - Snoopy Vs. The Red Baron 
 08. John Smith And The New Sound - I'm On The Up 
 09. John Smith And The New Sound - Big Time Operator 
 10. John Smith And The New Sound - Here's A Heart 
 11. John Smith And The New Sound - When I Come Home 
 12. John Smith And The New Sound - All Or Nothing 
 13. John Smith And The New Sound - Wait For Me Baby 
 14. John Smith And The New Sound - Winchester Cathedral
Bonus:
 15. John Smith And The New Sound -  See Emily Play
 16. John Smith And The New Sound -   You Keep Me Hangin' On





 

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for this artist, a new one for me but definately well worth a listen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your write-up has got my attention.
    I look forward to listening to this.
    Thank You.

    ReplyDelete

RULES :
1. ANONYMOUS REQUESTS WITHOUT ANSWER ! If you take the time to write a message, take a few seconds to sign it with your name, please.
2. If you think that the post was made in violation of your copyright, just report it in the comments and we will delete the material.
3. You can report of about dead links, but please don't make more than one - two repost request per week.