Saturday, March 09, 2024

Driftwood - Driftwood (1970) @ 320


Members:
Alan Jones - Bass
Darryl Runswick - Bass
Tony Newman - Drums
Nick - Guitar, Harmony Vocals
Neil Alford - Guitar, Vocals
Neil Harrison - Keyboards, Vocals
John Punter - Percussion
Zack Laurence - Piano

Neil Harrison if you didn't know, played John Lennon for 32 years in the Bootleg Beatles (with his buddies Andre Barreau and David Catlin-Birch. ) and are said by many to be the greatest Beatles tribute act. 



After Neil left The Bootleg Beatles, Andy Hastings took his place there.
Our hero also had creative successes outside of this famous tribute project. In particular, he wrote the single "I Could Never Miss You (More Than I Do)", which was performed by singer Lulu on her 1981 album.


-----------------------------------------

The LP “All Dressed Up and Nowhere To Go”, which he released in 1974 on Deram Records, deserves special mention. Each song in this edition sounds in the style of The Beatles, or more precisely, Paul McCartney.
This album of his own material, years before in 1974 on Deram records. Here's the blurb from the LP insert, which sheds a lot of light on to what he was doing up to the point of the album's release...

"Neil Harrison is a talented singer/songwriter, he writes simple and unpretentious songs and sings them in an equally honest manner. Neil was born in December 1950 in West Kirby, Cheshire. His mother is a pianist at a dancing school, his father an accountant.
His educational years were spent at St. Bede's Boarding School, Cumberland where he obtained ten 'O' Levels, three 'A' Levels and a place at Liverpool University to read zoology. University life lasted two days for Neil, he realised very quickly he was not a zoologist.
His musical talents which had become his main interest, had been born during his school days. During holiday periods he taught himself to play acoustic guitar with Bert Wheedon's "Play In A Day" guitar tutor. He began to become frustrated by trying to express himself through the only medium he knew and loved - music"

 After leaving university he worked at odd jobs and at the same time developed a songwriting relationship with Neil Alford. They wrote and sang songs together in and around Liverpool. Known as "Driftwood" they produced some demo tapes which they sent round to all the major record companies. Decca stepped in and sent producer Pete Swetenham to Liverpool to see Driftwood, they were subsequently brought to London to make an album make an album which, unfortunately passed completely unnoticed by the public.   (Grapher/Rock Archeologia)

As for Bootleg Beatles - this continuation seems very logical to me, because listening to Driftwood album today, I was thinking that there is more of the Beatles or the Liverpool in the melodies of Driftwood? And the fact that the album went completely unnoticed by the public seems strange. Well... the spoiled English public... Although perhaps the reason is that, given that this is the year 70, the public was looking forward to the continuation of the original project - The Beatles...



--------------------------

Driftwood - Driftwood (1970)

 01. Driftwood - I'm Leaving Today 
 02. Driftwood - Ernest And Amelia & Don't Be Sad Today 
 03. Driftwood - Seagull Flies / Variation 
 04. Driftwood - She's Still Alone 
 05. Driftwood - You Don't Need Love 
 06. Driftwood - Somewhere Deep Inside 
 07. Driftwood - Deborah Broughton 
 08. Driftwood - The Wind Cries Above You 
 09. Driftwood - Take Me With You Now 
 10. Driftwood - Since She Came Along 
 11. Driftwood - Paper 
 12. Driftwood - Anna, My Love 



 

6 comments:

  1. Many thanks, but I'm searching this Album in lossless! Any chance?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Philipp, don't be offended, but I will repeat once again what I wrote to you earlier. I get the impression that you don't like what I do?
      "I appreciate your audiophile ear. But I'm asking you, please stop saying in every message that lossless is preferable for you... Your preferences are on sites that specialize in this. I always post the best quality of what I have. In addition to my personal attitude towards bitrates and the capabilities of human hearing, I also have some obligations not to upload high-quality albums from certain authors. I really hope that we understand each other"
      It’s better to send all questions about lossless to CBox chat (https://oldmelodiestest.blogspot.com/) Maybe they can help you there.

      Delete
  2. Very interesting. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

RULES :
1. ANONYMOUS REQUESTS WITHOUT ANSWER ! If you take the time to write a message, take a few seconds to sign it with your name, please.
2. If you think that the post was made in violation of your copyright, just report it in the comments and we will delete the material.
3. You can report of about dead links, but please don't make more than one - two repost request per week.