Friday, November 19, 2021

Various Artists - Here Come The Girls, Volume 5. Sisters From The City (@320)

 


Various Artists - Here Come The Girls, Volume 5. Sisters From The City

Here Come the Girls, Vol. 5: Sisters from the City Review by Jason Ankeny.

Subtitled Sisters From the City, volume five in the consistently wonderful Here Come the Girls series isn't a girl group collection per se, at least not in the conventional Shangri-Las/Chiffons/Ronettes sense of the phrase. The subject is instead soul sides dating from between 1963 and 1974, relative light years in musical terms that encompass everything from the primal R&B of Betty Harris' deep-soul ballad "Cry to Me" to the insistent Philly proto-disco of Ecstasy, Passion & Pain's "I Wouldn't Give You Up"; although the set consequently lacks the focus and clarity common to the remainder of the Here Come the Girls series, the quality of the assembled material is nevertheless high throughout. Five of the disc's 20 tracks (mostly drawn from the Roulette and Calla vaults) spotlight the unjustly neglected Jean Wells, whose incendiary gospel-inspired vocals combined with the slinky production of the great Clyde Otis to yield a series of strong singles like "I Feel Good" and "Have a Little Mercy," all of which earned little notice during the Summer of Love. Other highlights: the Fuzz's beatific "I Love You for All Seasons," Betty Lavette's Northern soul perennial "Let Me Down Easy," and Oohna Truth's funky "If It Feels Good, Do It."

 

Tracklist:

 

01. Ecstasy, Passion & Pain - I Wouldn't Give You Up

02. The Fuzz - I Love You For All Seasons

03. The Fuzz - Like An Open Door

04. Betty Harris - Cry To Me

05. Betty Harris - His Kiss

06. Brenda Jo Harris - Standing On The Outside

07. Geraldine Hunt - You And I

08. Geraldine Hunt - You Brought The Joy

09. Betty Lavette - Let Me Down Easy

10. Betty Lavette - Only Your Love Can Save Me

11. The Three Degrees - Maybe

12. Oohna Truth - So Many Ways To Die

13. Oohna Truth - If It Feels Good, Do It

14. Doris Troy - I'll Do Anything

15. Jean Wells - After Loving You

16. Jean Wells - I Feel Good

17. Jean Wells - Have A Little Mercy

18. Jean Wells - Can't You Feel It

19. Jean Wells - I'm In Your Corner

20. Jean Wells - The Best Thing For You Baby

 ****

 


3 comments:

RULES :
1. ANONYMOUS REQUESTS WITHOUT ANSWER ! If you take the time to write a message, take a few seconds to sign it with your name, please.
2. If you think that the post was made in violation of your copyright, just report it in the comments and we will delete the material.
3. You can report of about dead links, but please don't make more than one - two repost request per week.