Considering the size of Sweden, there was a surprisingly large number of strong beat groups in the 60s: Beachers, Beathovens, Beatmen, Shakers, Shakemakers, Shamrocks and many more. There were only eight million Swedes then, and half of them must have owned a guitar. Among the more notable names were Tages and Hep Stars, the group that gave us Benny Andersson from ABBA. Both of these bands had UK releases, but given the level of competition, it should come as no surprise that they went unnoticed at the time.
Let's remember the creativity of the five beat teams from this northern country.
1. Tages
In August 64th, Tages signed up for the West Coast Beatles competition, which required it to sound and look as similar as possible to The Beatles. The prize was a free recording. Tages consisted of five members, but just sent the vocalist to London for two weeks to improve his English and performed as a quartet. They won the competition with 600 votes from an audience of 1,300 viewers.
In the fall of 1964, they recorded their own single, Sleep Little Girl, which immediately became a hit.
Between 65 and 67, the band released five landmark albums for Swedish popular music.
Tages - Tages, 1964-68!
01. Tages - Sleep Little Girl
02. Tages - I Should Be Glad
03. Tages - Don't Turn Your Back
04. Tages - Forget Him
05. Tages - The One For You
06. Tages - Bloodhound
07. Tages - So Many Girls
08. Tages - I'm Mad
09. Tages - I'll Be Doggone
10. Tages - In My Dreams
11. Tages - Crazy 'bout My Baby
12. Tages - Leaving Here
13. Tages - Guess Who
14. Tages - Jealous Girl
15. Tages - The Man You'll Be Looking For
16. Tages - Miss Mcbaren
17. Tages - Every Raindrop Means A Lot
18. Tages - My Home Town
19. Tages - I'm Going Out
20. Tages - Sister's Got A Boy Friend
21. Tages - Wanting
22. Tages - She's Having A Baby Now
23. Tages - Treat Her Like A Lady
24. Tages - Have You Seen Your Brother Lately
25. Tages - It's My Life
26. Tages - Like A Woman
27. Tages - Seeing With Love
28. Tages - There's A Blind Man Playing Fiddle In The Street
29. Tages - Fantasy Island
30. Tages - I Read You Like An Open Book
31. Tages - Halcyon Days
32. Tages - I Wake Up And Call
---------------------------------------------------------------------
2. Mascots
The boys were attending a music school when they attended a Beatles concert in Stockholm in October 1963. Inspired, they decided to play on their own, and in 1964, when they were all around 16 years old, they got a contract with the prestigious English studio Decca, where the Stones were recording. Their very first singles I Like My Bike, Baby Baby and A Sad Boy hit the national charts, followed by two bouncy albums with songs in the spirit of Zombies and Kinks.
Mascots, 1964-68!
01. Mascots - I Like My Bike
02. Mascots - Lyckan
03. Mascots - Baby Baby
04. Mascots - Call Me Your Love
05. Mascots - A Sad Boy
06. Mascots - When I Return
07. Mascots - Stones Fell
08. Mascots - Goodbye
09. Mascots - For Him
10. Mascots - Walking With My Angel
11. Mascots - Tip Of The Tongue
12. Mascots - My Very Best
13. Mascots - Words Enough To Tell You
14. Mascots - Woman
15. Mascots - Nobody
16. Mascots - We Should Realize
17. Mascots - I Don't Like You
18. Mascots - I Want To Live
19. Mascots - This Proud Crowd
20. Mascots - I Close Your Eyes
21. Mascots - The Girl That You Are
22. Mascots - Did You Ever Think
23. Mascots - That's You
24. Mascots - Since You Broke My Heart
25. Mascots - Stewball
26. Mascots - You Could Be My Friend
27. Mascots - Tell Me Lady
28. Mascots - Moreen
29. Mascots - Baby, You're So Wrong
30. Mascots - Black And White
31. Mascots - You're Never Gonna Find Me
32. Mascots - A Life Like That
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
3. Shamrocks
The group met in 1962. For some reason, they did not receive much recognition in their homeland, but they were insanely popular outside its borders: Germany, France, Holland, Japan and other countries. She has many singles and two albums in her piggy bank.
The Shamrocks - Smoke rings around the Cadillac
01. Shamrocks - We Gonna Make It
02. Shamrocks - A Lonely Man
03. Shamrocks - Skinny Minny
04. Shamrocks - A Mountain Of Silver
05. Shamrocks - Cadillac
06. Shamrocks - Easy Rider
07. Shamrocks - And I Need You
08. Shamrocks - Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah
09. Shamrocks - La La La
10. Shamrocks - Things Will Turn Out Right Tomorrow
11. Shamrocks - Balla Balla
12. Shamrocks - Oxford Sreet 43
13. Shamrocks - Don't Say
14. Shamrocks - Nobody Cares About Me
15. Shamrocks - Days
16. Shamrocks - Smokerings
17. Shamrocks - See Me Coming
18. Shamrocks - I'm On The Outside Looking In
19. Shamrocks - Please Don't Cry For Me
20. Shamrocks - Gipsy Lullaby At Ten Thirty
21. Shamrocks - Misconception
22. Shamrocks - I'm Ready For The Show
23. Shamrocks - Cadillac (Paris Version)
24. Shamrocks - How The Time Flies
25. Shamrocks - Travelin' Man
26. Shamrocks - The Smiling Kind
27. Shamrocks - Don't You Know She's Mine
28. Shamrocks - Daytime Nighttime
29. Shamrocks - Rich Life
----------------------------------------------------------------
4. Shanes
A group from the north of the country, active in 1963-69. She has played in a variety of styles with British and American influences, including rhythm and blues, mersibit, psychedelia and instrumental pop music. They were successful in their home country (the group's 12 singles hit the top ten on the Swedish charts).
Shanes - The Shanes (Rock in Beat)
LP - Let Me Us (1964)
01. Shanes - Let Me Show You Who I Am
02. Shanes - Say You Want Me
03. Shanes - Cathy's Clown
04. Shanes - Georgia's Back In Town
05. Shanes - Just Go
06. Shanes - My Lover Baby
07. Shanes - Keep A Knockin'
08. Shanes - I Got A Woman
09. Shanes - All I Have To Do Is Dream
10. Shanes - Come On Sally
11. Shanes - The Shanegang
12. Shanes - Gunfight Saloon
LP - The Shanegang (1965)
13. Shanes - Blue Feeling
14. Shanes - Don't Try To Make A Fool Of Me
15. Shanes - I Won't Untie You
16. Shanes - She's Ashamed Of Me
17. Shanes - If You Live
18. Shanes - Jenny Jenny
19. Shanes - If You're Going Up To The City
20. Shanes - When Will I Be Loved
21. Shanes - A Young Man
22. Shanes - Tobacco Road
23. Shanes - People Don't Like Me
24. Shanes - Where Can She Be
Single A & B Sides (1963-1966)
25. Shanes - Oh, Wow
26. Shanes - Pistoleros
27. Shanes - Gun Rider
28. Shanes - I Don't Want Your Love
29. Shanes - Crazy Country Hop
30. Shanes - Skinny Minnie
31. Shanes - It's Allright Babe
32. Shanes - Marshall Clayton
-------------------------------------------------------------
5. Fabulous Four
The group operated in 1964-68 and during this time more than once took first places in its country and in Italy. She released one album and thanks to his success, the musicians began to be called to write soundtracks for movies.
Fabulous Four - Puff The Magic Dragon (1964-68)
01. Fabulous Four - Puff The Magic Dragon
02. Fabulous Four - Rhytm Of The Rain
03. Fabulous Four - Island In The Sun
04. Fabulous Four - Don't Go Out Into The Rain
05. Fabulous Four - After All
06. Fabulous Four - Sheila
07. Fabulous Four - You Were On My Mind
08. Fabulous Four - Love Minus Zero
09. Fabulous Four - I Still Love You
10. Fabulous Four - Rotten Rats
11. Fabulous Four - Boom Boom
12. Fabulous Four - This Land Is Your Land
13. Fabulous Four - Anita, Change Your Mind
14. Fabulous Four - Extacy
15. Fabulous Four - Ginny Come Lately
16. Fabulous Four - Beer Party
17. Fabulous Four - Uffes Drimm
18. Fabulous Four - Ain't That Just Like Me - Rockin' Robin
fThank you for all the great swedish beat!
ReplyDeleteThank you so much for this but ya missed one band out: The Hep Stars that were B I G in Sweden
ReplyDeleteNobody is forgotten and nothing is forgotten ... 8)
Deletehttps://allmusic-wingsofdream.blogspot.com/2018/05/hep-stars-we-and-our-cadillac-1996.html
Many thanks for posting in FLAC!
ReplyDelete