"This obscure album by the Trout is actually quite
good. The group was composed of the late Tony Romeo (best known as the writer
of the hit songs "I Think I Love You" and others for the Partridge
Family, "Indian Lake" by the Cowsills, and "I'm Gonna Make You
Mine" by Lou Christie), his brother Frank Romeo, and Cassandra Morgan who
later went on as a cast member and co-writer of the Broadway musical Pumpboys
and Dinettes. This album, all composed and arranged by Tony Romeo, is an
inspired pastiche of sunshine pop, folk rock, dreamy psychedelia, and a
Vaudevillian touch (Cassandra Morgan's great solo vocal on "The Worst Day
I've Been To" is reminiscent of Barbra Streisand's "Second Hand
Rose"). There's also a jazz waltz ("Hushabye Wee Bobby") and a
Baroque-style song in the style of the Swingle Singers ("Understanding Who
I Am"). There are some very nice melodies here like the beautiful
"November Song" (later recorded by Richard Harris on his superb
concept album Slides, an album of songs written by Tony Romeo), and interesting
collage effects as well as little interludes...." Derrick Phillips
Tracklist:
01. -The Beginning
02. -Fresh Water
03. -Crazy Bill
04. -Carnival Girl
05. -November Song
06. -Arizona Two Thoughts; Cuddlin' Warm-Here Beside You
Now
07. -Hushabye Wee Bobby
08. -Yeah Yeah Yeah
09. -Worse Day I've Been To
10. -You Can't Hang On
11. -Understanding Who I Am
12. -Sunrise Highway
13. -The End
Thank you for the unknown sunshine pop.
ReplyDeleteMany thanks. Cheers
ReplyDeleteThank you for this post (and for all, of course!). Cheers.
ReplyDeletePlease repost if possible.
ReplyDeleteNew download link posted!
DeleteThanks a bunch.
Delete